HOME PEOPLE NEWS LOG FUNDS LINKS PUBLICATIONS GALLERY


September News 2013

Meeting: September 6, 2013
Attendees: Priya, Professor Montclare
- Discuss upcoming semester
- New grants to apply for
- Updates for website
- Finalize experiment ideas, testing methods
- Wait for payment until meeting with Ben

Meeting: September 13, 2013
Attendees: Priya, Sarah, Professor Montclare
- Get feedback from Noam
- Possible second experiment for calculus class
- Need to set up Doodle Surveys
- Discuss kickoff days, 1st module schedule

Meeting September 20, 2013
Attendees: Priya, Sarah, Professor Montclare
- Pictures for website of Sarah, Noam
- Update news log for website
- Possible switch of kick off date and module 1
- Look at journals for mathematical education for submission of calculus modules
- Find picture of students to post online
- Does Noam want to contribute to article?
- Update due dates for grant submissions
-Discuss summer program with Sarah, Andrew
0 Comments
Posted on 22 Sep 2013 by admin

August News

Meeting: August 7, 2013
Attendees: Sarah, Professor Montclare
- Discuss upcoming year
- Address expectations of Teagle Fellows
- Address upcoming experiment and ideas for 2013-2014 school year

Meeting: August 15, 2013
Attendees: Priya, Sarah, Noam
- Discuss school year, calculus class, gastronomy class
- Brainstorm focuses for this year's experiment
- Determine focuses for experiments
- Look over course syllabus

Meeting: August 21, 2013
Attendees: Priya, Sarah, Prof. Montclare
- Discuss testing methods
- Discuss finalized experiment
- Find out number of students, whether or not Noam wants to contribute, etc.
- Overview summer program, new grants, schedule for upcoming semester
- Determine date suitable for everyone to meet during school year
0 Comments
Posted on 22 Sep 2013 by admin

July News 2013

Week of July 8th - Start date of STEM program
- Diabetes Week

Week of July 15th -
- HIV/AIDS Week, NYU Dental School field trip

Week of July 22nd -
- Cancer Week

Week of July 29th -
- Presentation Preparation Week

August 2nd
- Final presentation day

Meeting: August 2nd
Attendees: Professor Montclare, Priya
- Discuss potential new Teagle fellow
0 Comments
Posted on 22 Sep 2013 by admin

June News 2013

World Science Festival Street Fair: June 2, 2013
Attendees: Carlo, Mike, Priya, 2 high school volunteers, and Professor Montclare
-Demonstrating Lewis Dots

Meeting: June 14, 2013
Attendees: Ching Yao, Andrew, Priya, Ben
- Discuss Summer program schedule
- Discuss rules, evaluations, etc.
- Select group field trip location
- Determine program name

Meeting: June 20, 2013
Attendees: Ching Yao, Andrew, Priya
- Discuss final summer schedule
- Assign lectures/activities to each person
- Determine lab needs, etc.
- Finalize ice breakers, etc.

0 Comments
Posted on 22 Sep 2013 by admin

May News 2013

Meeting: May 1, 2013
Attendees: Heejoo, Priya, and Prof. Montclare
-Expo is next week: get 10 IPads from Jessica
-Ask for NYU-POLY Banner from Admission Center
-In Expo, we will interview teachers if we have chance to meet them (Questions are sent) and bring laptops.
-Highlight the Expo event on our website
-Start drafting JChem Ed and Liz is going to be the co-author for last year's contribution
-Post Mykhaylo's picture on website
-4th module is scheduled on 5/10/13 (Firday)
0 Comments
Posted on 01 May 2013 by Heejoo

April News 2013

Meeting: Apr 10, 2013
Attendees: Heejoo, Priya, and Prof. Montclare
-Analyze the evaluation for 3rd module ASAP
-RSVP 4th Annual Sci-Ed Innovators Expo and Symposium (5/8/13)
-Contact informations of high school chem/physics teachers for interview
-Interivews are scheduled tomorrow.
-Module 4 questions are confirmed.

Meeting: Apr 17, 2013
Attendees: Heejoo, Priya, and Prof. Montclare (via skype)
-Draft Application for World Science Fair
-Decided on the candidate, send the acceptance letter.
-Contact informations of high school chem/physics teachers for interview
-Priya is modifying the Ed Science Aricle which is due on Aug

Meeting: Apr 24, 2013
Attendees: Heejoo, Priya, and Prof. Montclare (via report)
-Application for World Science Fair submitted
-Contract form recieved by Mykhaylo and rejection emails had sent to other candidates
-Start building on the paper draft (JChem Ed)
0 Comments
Posted on 01 May 2013 by Heejoo

March News 2013

Meeting: Mar 6, 2013
Attendees: Heejoo, Priya, and Prof. Montclare
-Schedule the 3rd module date with Jessica
-Find more apps that relates to Nulcear Chem
-Professor Montclare will look into the Toshiba Grant Draft
-Deadline for 2013-2014 application due on Mar 22, 2013
-Send out flyers to ACS and BMS clubs

Meeting: Mar 13, 2013
Attendees: Heejoo, Priya, and Prof. Montclare
-Jessica will email/ notify us when she is getting to balancing equation
-Modify the Module questions based on Jessica's adivce
-Word count for Toshiba Grant draft
-Email back to applicants who are interested joining 2013-2014 Teagle Program
-Ed science article draft by next meeting

Meeting: Mar 27, 2013
Attendees: Heejoo, Priya, and Prof. Montclare
-View all the applicants and schedule the interview ASAP
-Get all things ready for 3rd module (4/5/13)
-Look over the comments/modification of the Ed science article draft and modify accordingly
0 Comments
Posted on 01 May 2013 by Heejoo

February News 2013

Meeting: Feb 6, 2013
Attendees: Heejoo, Priya, and Prof. Montclare
-The second module day is this Friday (2/8/13)
-Make sure all girls wirte on the Blog!
-Make sure all girls fill out the evaluation for analysis
-Ask Jessica about the 4th module and possible topic.
-Schedule the 3rd module date
-Grant draft by next meeting (Toshiba)

Meeting: Feb 13, 2013
Attendees: Heejoo, Priya, and Prof. Montclare
-Heejoo will send the analysis of the 2nd module evaluation by end of this week
-Priya will send an email to susan about tuition remission
-Professor Montclare will look over the Toshiba Grant Draft
-Ask Jessica what topic in Nuclear Chemistry she wants us to cover (4th Module)?
-Update Teagle Teaching Fellowship for 2012-2014 flyer

Meeting: Feb 20, 2013
Attendees: Heejoo, Priya, and Prof. Montclare
- 2nd module evaluation looked good
-Professor Montclare will look over the Toshiba Grant Draft
-Ask Jessica what topic in Nuclear Chemistry she wants us to cover (4th Module)?
-Send Professor montclare the updated flyer

Meeting: Feb 27, 2013
Attendees: Heejoo, Priya, and Prof. Montclare
-Draft the Nuclear chemistry module
-Professor Montclare is sending out the flyers to ACS and BMS club etc
-Draft the journal article
0 Comments
Posted on 20 Feb 2013 by Heejoo

January News 2013

Meeting: Jan 31, 2013
(Reported)
-Jessica scheduled the second module on 2/8/2013.
-changed around some of the groups to make them run smoother. The only group that didnt change was Group Q.
-Questions for 2nd Module is up on the blog, and is tested.
-Evaluation forms will be done by this week and send them to Jessica.
- Reminding the Lists of grants & deadlines (which one should we work on?):
0 Comments
Posted on 20 Feb 2013 by Heejoo

December News 2012

Meeting: Dec 5, 2012
Attendees: Heejoo, Priya, and Prof. Montclare
-First module is on this Friday (12/7)
-R group is the control group
-Evaluation form is completed and Jessica had printed them
0 Comments
Posted on 06 Dec 2012 by Heejoo

November News 2012

Meeting: November 7, 2012
Attendees: Heejoo, Priya, and Prof. Montclare
-Final edit of AAUW Grant
-JChemEd rejected paper-- we can repeat the modules this year and get better data. Send the paper to Priya and make an improvement. Come up with the step to produce a favorable outcome. Also see other resources on how others used blogs in their classrooms.
-Evaluations for the first modules need to be done.
-Look for other grants
-Talk to Jessica and schedule the modules

Meeting: November 21, 2012
Attendees: Heejoo and Prof. Montclare
-Priya and Heejoo is going to UAI next week Monday to test the remote system
-Evaluations for the first modules need to be done.
-Heejoo need to bring Grant and the deadlines by next week.
-Finalize the module schedule with Jessica

Meeting: November 28, 2012
Attendees: Heejoo, Priya, and Prof. Montclare
-Teamviewer is not allow in Board of Ed--> see if we want to continue on with the module just with the animation.
-Last year module is going to be repeated this year.
-First Module: Next Friday (12/7), check for control group and evaluation.
-Grants: draft by 12/26/12 (AAUW)
0 Comments
Posted on 10 Nov 2012 by Heejoo

October News 2012

Meeting: October 3, 2012
Attendees: Heejoo, Priya, and Prof. Montclare
-Fix the narrative for Eleanor Roosevelt Award Grant: make sure to include previous years' work as well (not only iPads).
-Discuss amongst ourselves for publication place (article on Summer program)
-Priya is going to UAI on Friday to test out the iPad and remote desktop.
-Our modules will based on iPad vs desktop.


Meeting: October 10, 2012
Attendees: Heejoo, Priya, and Prof. Montclare
-Didn't have face-to-face meeting; just submitted a report:
*Narrative for the grant is fixed (I attached the document)
*Samsung grants seems to be for specifically for teachers and schools.
*Summer article is going to be submitted to Education Next.
*iPads and the remote desktop viewing software worked fine
*Need to get UAI IT department's permission to allow us to download software on their laptops.

Meeting: October 24, 2012
Attendees: Heejoo, and Prof. Montclare
-Send Professor Montclare a reminder email about AAUW Grant dead.
-Ask Jessica about the testing laptop for the iPad Remote program.
-Setting up a specific date for the first module.
0 Comments
Posted on 10 Oct 2012 by Heejoo

September News 2012

Meeting: September 12, 2012
Attendees: Heejoo, Priya, and Prof. Montclare
-Contact Phet and ask about flash on iPads
-Contact Susan for tuition remission
-Update website: upload the world sciece fair highlight video
-Sciece coaches grant (keep an eye on application email)
-Start the Grant application
-Look into educational article publication place for summer article
-Contact Jessica for observation of class, scheduling the modules.

Meeting: September 19, 2012
Attendees: Priya, and Prof. Montclare
-Details of Publication places (submission methods/ deadlines)
-Flash don't work on iPad--> change the focus or modules
-Ask Jessica about the schedule

Meeting: September 43, 2012
Attendees: Heejoo, Priya, and Prof. Montclare
-Contact publication places for details (rules. method of submission, and approval time)
-Solve the technical difficulties: Desktop remoter program
-Keep contacting Jessica and update her.
0 Comments
Posted on 12 Sep 2012 by Heejoo

August News 2012

Aug 3: Teagle Summer Project Showcase

Meeting: Aug 3, 2012
Attendees: Heejoo, Priya, and Prof. Montclare
-Talk with Jessica and come up with 3 modules.
-Needed to be done by end of this month.

Meeting: Aug 29, 2012
Attendees: Heejoo, Priya, and Prof. Montclare
-Discuss about new project/ goal/ objective
-update website
-Ask Liz about science coaches
-Check to see if flash works on iPads
-Updated Grants list by next meeting
-Ask Jessica: # of students, and if they can access to computer at home
0 Comments
Posted on 10 Sep 2012 by Heejoo

July News 2012

Teagle Summer Program Started:July 5, 2012

July 9 - July 12: Diabetes Study

July 16 - July 19: Cancer Study

July 23- July 26: HIV and AIDS Study

July 30 - Aug 2: Independent Project Week

Meeting: July 31, 2012
Attendees: Jessica, Heejoo, and Priya
-Teagle 2012-2013 Project revised
0 Comments
Posted on 10 Sep 2012 by Heejoo

June News 2012

World Science Festival Street Fair: Jun2 2, 2012
Attendees: Carlo, Heejoo, Priya, 2 high school volunteers, and Prof. Montclare
-Demonstrating Lewis Dots

Meeting: June 8, 2012
Attendees: Jessica, Heejoo, Priya, and Prof. Montclare
-Project for 2012-2013: Chemistry-Biology related topic project
-come up with topics, and 3 deadlines

Meeting: June 19, 2012
Attendees: Ching Yao, Jennifer, Heejoo, and Priya
-Discuss about Summer program schedule
-Assign the lectures/ activity to each person.
-Discuss some rules: notebook check up, lab...etc.
-Send each other the course Materials by next week.

Meeting: June 30, 2012
Attendees: Ching Yao, Jennifer, Heejoo, and Priya
-Finalized the Summer schedule, and materials.
-First day of the Summer Program: ice breaker.
-Checkin the new course materials
0 Comments
Posted on 10 Sep 2012 by Heejoo

May News 2012

Meeting: May 22, 2012
Attendees: Jennifer, Ching Yao, Heejoo, Priya, and Prof. Montclare
-Introducing each other
-Discussing Teagle schedule and curriculum
0 Comments
Posted on 23 May 2012 by Heejoo

April News 2012

Meeting: April 2, 2012
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Prof. Montclare
-Final draft of Education week Article
-Final module on balancing equation draft is due by next meeting
-Install Balancing eq app on all iPads
-Send the acceptance letter to the candidate

Meeting: April 9, 2012
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Prof. Montclare
-Education week article has sent!
-May 3rd is STEM Conference
-Two module drafts were okayed by Jessica
-Acceptance letter has sent (2weeks given to respond).

Meeting: April 24, 2012
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Prof. Montclare
-Tolly all the evaluation for the 3rd module, and a summary
-May 3rd: Showcase our app in expo (Heejoo cannot attend)

Meeting: April 30, 2012
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Prof. Montclare
-Discussing the evaluation results and the paper
-By next meeting, read articles on blogs and apps used in class and summarize
-Next meeting is on May 29
0 Comments
Posted on 23 May 2012 by Heejoo

March News 2012

Meeting: March 5, 2012
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Prof. Montclare
-Kinjal is going to video film the class (Lewis dots module)
-Make sure all the iPads have the app installed
-Read articles from Ed Week to edit our article
-edit evaluation form

Meeting: March 14, 2012
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Prof. Montclare
-The evaluation shows that the blog has no significant effect.
-Try to find more apps also any resources available online to be used for modules
-Edit the article by next meeting (Ed week)
-Note down what kind of app we need and talk to Carlo to see if it can be made

Meeting: March 26, 2012
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Prof. Montclare
-Have the final draft of Ed week article by next meeting
-2 module draft and the apps
-Decide the next school year college mentor
-Discuss with Jessica regarding purchasing the app.
0 Comments
Posted on 15 Mar 2012 by Heejoo

February News 2012

Meeting: February 13, 2012
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Prof. Montclare
-Edit the article draft (Chronicle of Higher Ed.)
-Post videos, resources on blog
-March 2, 2012 is Lewis Dots module
-Talk to Carlo about the modification of the app
-Record the observation of students on the first module
-Evaluations need to be tallied

Meeting: February 20, 2012
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Prof. Montclare
-Our article got rejected. Check to see other possible publishing places.
-Read some articles from Ed week to see what we can edit
-Prof Montclare will email NYU to see if they can film the class this week Friday.
-Prepare for the 2nd module: Lewis Dots
-Install Lewis Dots on all iPads
-Talk to Jessica about the consent form to film the girls.
0 Comments
Posted on 15 Mar 2012 by Heejoo

January News 2011

Meeting: January 11, 2012
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Prof. Montclare
-Grants: check eligibility and get tax # from Mara
-chronicle of Higher Education: draft an essay by 1/18/12
(format of chronicle of Higher Edu)
-Next meeting is on 1/20/12 Friday @ 4PM
- The article should be point of view: blog based in science education. What we did in the summer. Keep in mind the word limit.
-Ask Carlo for ipads and set up wifi @ UAI

Meeting: January 20, 2012
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Prof. Montclare
-Email Mara and remind about the tax #
-chronicle of Higher Education: Draft a survey questions.
-Draft a cover letter for the article
-Draft Student's evaluation questions.
-Charge the ipads and set up wifi @ UAI

Meeting: January 27, 2012
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Prof. Montclare
-Submit Spring 2012 schedule to Prof Montclare to set up the regular meeting
-Edit the cover letter and the article (mention itune University).
-Observe the classes before the actual module.
-Look for apps for first module.
0 Comments
Posted on 01 Feb 2012 by Heejoo

December News 2011

Meeting: December 8, 2011
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Prof. Montclare
-First module date is 2/10/2012
-Lewis Dot app module will be 3/2/2012
-AAUW will be submitted.
-Come up with 2 different module topic that Jessica already covered.
-send Jessica's class time to Prof. Montclare
-heads up for upcoming grants (motorola)

Meeting: December 15, 2011
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Prof. Montclare
-Ask Jessica for a textbook
-Modules outline by 12/30/11
-Send Grant list to Professor Montclare
-Look for blog, computer, technology based education articles from Chronicle of Higher Education
-Next Skype meeting: 12/30/11

Meeting: December 31, 2011
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Prof. Montclare
-Complete the 2 modules (Nuclear Chemistry and electrochemistry) by next meeting
-Check out sketch pad app
-Heejoo: visit Jessica's class and get students' emails and also check for wifi
-Foundation grants: to be completed by Monday (1/9/12)
-next meeting: 1/11/12
0 Comments
Posted on 16 Dec 2011 by Heejoo

November News 2011

Meeting: November 2, 2011
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Prof. Montclare
-Email Maurica about the electronic concentment of IPAD
-Call or email science coaches
-Contact the tech guy in UAI to set wireless in the class room.
-Old modules can also be tested (using Lewis Dot app).
-Download the balancing eqn app/ charge the Ipads

Meeting: November 9, 2011
Attnedees: Liz, Heejoo, Prof. Montclare
-Edit AAUW by next meeting
-Try to visit UAI before the first module
-Contact Maurica for the evaluation form; also need Teacher evaluation
-We can buy IPad protector and app

Meeting: November 16, 2011
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Prof. Montclare
-Schedule the first module date with Jessica (btw 12/14- 12/20)
-Visit UAI and check for wifi
-For evaluation question, include Q: Have you ever used iPad before?
-Ask Noam: when did the students start using iPad for their math course?
-Check the page limitation for AAUW
-Look online for possible ipad apps we can use and also for the ipade protector.

Meeting: November 23, 2011
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Prof. Montclare
-Schedule for the first module was postponed.
-Contact Yan for Evaluation form
-Edit AAUW and check for character limits
-Visit UAI and check for wifi next week Friday
-Application and Interview for two students for NYU program.

Meeting: November 30, 2011
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Prof. Montclare
-Edit the evaluation form that Yan sent us.
-Replace the Mnemonics link on our website.
-Create a facebook and twitter account for polycbtl
-Discuss about Timeframe for the iPad app module/
-Liz and Heejoo are going to visit the girls at UAI this Friday.
0 Comments
Posted on 02 Nov 2011 by Heejoo

October News 2011

Meeting: October 5th, 2011
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Dr. Montclare
-Balancing equation app: write an instruction for this app. Play around with it to see how it is going to be used for the 2nd module.
-Control group: Technology vs. Non-technology.
-Observing classes: contact with Jessica to visit her classes.
-Grants: Toshiba, Honda; see the eligibility.

Meeting: October 26th, 2011
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Dr. Montclare
-Prepare a list of grants and their due dates
-Keep in touch with Jessica and her classes--> avoid lowering level of module.
-Be ready for a small demo next week (11/2/11) @ NYTM demo
0 Comments
Posted on 09 Oct 2011 by Heejoo

September News 2011

Meeting: September 7th, 2011
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Dr. Montclare
-Finish drafting second module by next week.
-Set up the blog and develop a tutorial on how to use blog.
-Contact Jessica about the schedule for this semester and also about her input on the first module.
-Set up a schedule for class observation (not this week since it's first week of school).
-Talk to Calro about modification of app (yes or no).

Meeting: September 14th, 2011
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Dr. Montclare
-Module 1 needs modification: make the video clip shorter.
-Students might be confused with working on ipad. Try out with somebody to see if any other modification is needed.
-Continue with Blog construction.
-Meet up with Jessica: observe her classes, and show her the previous modules. Ask her for any preferrences on modules.
-Work on 3rd module.

Class observation and meeting @ UAI: September 16, 2011
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Jessica

Meeting: September 21th, 2011
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Dr. Montclare
-Try out modules with somebody. Find out if it takes 60 minutes or not.
-Constantly contact with Jessica and go to her class more often to know the girls and their names. Try to show that we are there to help them.
-Set up the blog so that girls can access to it.

Meeting: September 28th, 2011
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Dr. Montclare
-Schedule observation days to develop relationship with students.
-Blog: modify it if needed. (how to post puzzle)
-Bonus/extra work: come up with something fun (iPad app?) and that relates to the lesson.
-Look out for Verizon grant: email Prof. Montclare the unknown questions.
0 Comments
Posted on 07 Sep 2011 by Heejoo

August News 2011

Meeting: August 12th, 2011
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Dr. Montclare
-IPAD App:talk to Calro about modifying the app; Look for some apps that can be used for modules
-ACS Grant:send description of what we have done(via email)
-Contact the new teacher, Jessica Chen
-Keep updating the website with meetings: upload the papers.

Meeting: August 19, 2011
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Dr. Montclare
-Modules schedules for electrochemistry and balancing equations: Contact with Jessica and confirm.
-Ipad App: talk to Calro ASAP; Draft email to Katherine Isbister about Dreyfus and the Ipad App we are planning to make.
-Motorola Solutions Foundation Innovation Generation Grants Grant: draft email to Ben.

Meeting: August 26, 2011
Attendees: Liz, Heejoo, Dr. Montclare
-Make schedule for modules. Tell Calro when the apps has to be done.
-See if there is any blog-based education exists.
-Draft the first module by 9/7/11 (Wed)
0 Comments
Posted on 12 Aug 2011 by Heejoo

July News 2011

Teagle Welcome breakfast: July 11, 2011
-Breakfast/ icebreaker
0 Comments
Posted on 12 Aug 2011 by Heejoo

June News 2011

Meeting: June 7, 2011
Attendees: Noam, Jasmin, Jennifer, Carlo, Liz, Heejoo
-Going over the Teagle summer program syllabus and Unit 1 (diabetes) materials.


Meeting: June 9, 2011
Attendees: Jasmin, Jennifer, Carlo, Liz, Heejoo, Dr. Montclare
-Inform UAI teachers about the materials we need for summer


Meeting: June 17, 2011
Attendees: Noam, Jasmin, Jennifer, Carlo, Liz
-Going over Unit 2 Cancer materials


Meeting: June 23, 2011
Attendees: Ben, Cenk, Noam, Mara, Dr. Montclare, Jasmin, Jennifer, Carlo, Heejoo
-Talked about overall summer schedule for the program


Meeting: June 30, 2011
Attendees: Noam, Jasmin, Jennifer, Carlo, Heejoo
-Going over Unit 3 HIV/AIDS materials
0 Comments
Posted on 12 Aug 2011 by Heejoo

May News 2011

Meeting: May 13th, 2011
Attendees: Carlo, Dr. Montclare

�Tiger Presentation



Meeting: May 17th, 2011
Attendees: Maurica, Liz, Dr. Montclare

�First draft of 2010-2011 paper ready
(revisions to be made as necessary)


Meeting: May 27th, 2011
Attendees: Maurica, Liz, Dr. Montclare

�Second draft of 2010-2011 paper ready
(revisions to be made as necessary)
0 Comments
Posted on 13 Jun 2011 by Maurica

April News 2011

Meeting: April 7th 2011
Attendees: Maurica, Liz, Carlo, Dr. Montclare

1. Interviewing Dreyfus Applicants
2. Modules
-----� Evaluation Analysis from Module 2
-----�Modifying Module 3
-------------�App modification
-------------�Module modification
3. Dealing with the defective iPad


Module 3: April 15

Meeting: April 22nd 2011
Attendees: Maurica, Liz, Carlo, Dr. Montclare

1. Modules
-----� Evaluation Analysis from Module 3
2. Applicants
-----� Decide on successful applicant

Meeting: April 29th 2011
Attendees: Maurica, Liz, Dr. Montclare

1. Paper 2010-2011
-----�Begin researching and writing paper
2. Acceptance & rejection letters
0 Comments
Posted on 13 Jun 2011 by Maurica

March News 2011

Meeting: March 3rd 2011
Attendees: Maurica, Liz, Jennifer, Erika

1. Iridescent
-----� Objectives, method of operation
-----�Ways we can forge partnership
-----�Summer ideas and training

Next meeting: Tuesday March 7th at 6:30 pm

Meeting: March 7th 2011
Attendees: Maurica, Liz, Dr. Montclare

1. Iridescent
-----� Updates on the meeting with Iridescent
2. IPADS
-----� APP is ready
-----� Upload app onto two iPads and test it out

Next meeting: Thursday March 10th

Meeting: March 10th 2011
Attendees: Maurica, Liz, Carlo, Dr. Montclare

1. IPADS
-----� Edits to be made to iPad program
----------------Deleting/Erasers
----------------Sensitivity
----------------Bond breaking
----------------Oxygen & Sulfur issues
2. Modules
-----� Need to be re-written to suit APP
-----------------New ‘intro-to-app’ module needed
-----� Set new Module Dates with Jill

Next meeting: Thursday March 17th

Meeting: March 17th 2011
Attendees: Carlo, Jill

1. IPADS
-----� APP
----------------Intro & comments about app
----------------Discussion of functionality

Next meeting: Wednesday March 23rd

Meeting: March 20th 2011
Attendees: Maurica, Liz Carlo

1. IPADS
-----� Download new version of app onto all of the iPads
2. Start scheduling interviews for new Dreyfus candidates

MODULE 2- 25th March
0 Comments
Posted on 13 Apr 2011 by Maurica

February News 2011

Meeting: February 3rd 2011
Attendees: Maurica, Liz, Carlo, Dr. Montclare

1. Modules
-----• First meeting with girls, tomorrow 4th February.
-----•Second meeting pushed back to 4th March. Third to 11th March.

2. iPAD APP
-----•Hard deadline on iPad app expected this weekend

3. Paper
-----•Updated manuscript of last year's paper
-----•JChemEd technology papers

4. Follow ups:
-----•Erica @ Bronx studio
-----•Motorola

5. Updates:
-----•New Evaluations made
-----•Update website

Next meeting: Friday February 11th at 10:00 am.


Meeting: February 11th 2011
Attendees: Maurica, Liz, Carlo, Dr. Montclare

Module 1:
- went very well
- summarize what happened
- review and tabulate evaluations from first module

iPad
- App expected on the 21st
- Prototype:
1. Liz, Jill and Maurica
2. After-school programs with the girls: 24th and 25th

Next meeting is Friday February 18th @ 10:00am
0 Comments
Posted on 11 Feb 2011 by Maurica

January News 2011

Meeting: January 11th 2011
Attendees: Maurica, Liz, Jill

1.Scheduling Days (exact dates) for the Modules

2.iPAD APP
-----• Made a LIST of templates & rules & exceptions to provide programmer


Meeting: January 20th 2011
Attendees: Maurica, Liz, Carlo, Dr. Montclare

1.iPADs
-----• Pick up 10 more from NYU (asap)
-----•Graphics
----------o Liz and Maurica to design and create the major graphic files for the APP to provide to programmer (Deadline 28th)

2.SPE grant
-----• Contact Jennifer to find out the latest

3. Literature
-----•Start looking for and reading articles about Technology, Science, and Interfacing in the classroom to help write the paper

4. Follow-ups:
-----•Bronx Science Studio
-----•Motorola

5. Miscellaneous
-----•Evaluations (new ones for this year)
-----•Application Flyers (recruiting new applicants for next year)
0 Comments
Posted on 11 Feb 2011 by Maurica

December 2010 News

Meeting: December 23rd 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Liz, Carlo, Dr. Montclare

1.Motorola Grant
-----• School code being blocked on form (relatively new school)
-----• Contact Motorola to troubleshoot this

2.AAUW
-----• Hard deadline of January 15th moved to January 18th
-----• Jin’s deadline: January 8th

3.Navy
-----• Contact person hasn’t been reached
-----• Difficulty in getting questions answered
-----• Revisit this angle

4.Jill
-----• Tracking students
----------o Knowing how well they do in 11th and 12th grade (science)
----------o Knowing what happens after they graduate (mainly)
-----• Scheduling the modules
----------o When is good in January to do 1st module- ASAP
----------o 2nd and 3rd modules- aiming for as early in February as possible, 1st week preferred

5.iPad APP
-----• We may have to:
----------o Go through it after it is done to check for any missing parts
----------o Prioritize the list of required specs in case all are not able to get done the first time around
----------o start looking into adding/developing the graphics
--------------------Illustrator Adobe type stuff
-----• Look in to LBI
-----• Carlos to provide figure for Dr. Montclare upon finishing the App Spec Document next week

6.Future paper
-----• Show what we have done, how it has helped the students, student testing/troubleshooting
-----• Teacher Manual looks like a mandatory element- get started on that early

7.I2E competition
-----• We've made it to the semifinals!
0 Comments
Posted on 24 Dec 2010 by Maurica

November 2010 News

Meeting: November 8th, 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Elizabeth, Dr. Montcalre

- Registering for NYU:Poly's I2E competition with iPad idea
- Obtaining I2E Calendar of Events
- Meeting with App designer scheduled for Wednesday
- Continued paper updates/revisions
-App searches for any new 3D molecules apps


Meeting: November 10th, 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Elizabeth, Carlos, Franco

- Discussions on specifications and expectations for iPad app


Meeting: November 19th, 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Elizabeth, Dr. Montclare

- Editing paper referencing and citations
- Carlo interfacing with Franco: hoping for prototype in December
- 10 more iPads obtained from NSF MRSEC
- Confirm Fridays with Jill and schedule classes to have Fridays next semester available for teaching
---- Mention tracking students' progress: Averages, Regents performance
0 Comments
Posted on 21 Dec 2010 by Maurica

October 2010 News

Meeting: October 8th, 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Elizabeth, Jill

- Rescheduling of Modules based on change of circumstances
- Organizing meeting with App designer a priority
------ Installation/ Troubleshooting
------ Small group testing
- I2E Competition
- Other probable grants
- Research Motorola outreach initiative


Meeting: October 22nd, 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Elizabeth, Dr. Montclare

- More paper revisions from Rob & Maurica's paper necessary
------ Prize reference(s) needed
- Questions & assignments based on ONR Navy webcasts



Meeting: October 25th, 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Elizabeth, Dr. Montclare

- NSF10-610 Discovery Research K-12 Letter of Intent
(Draft due 30th October)
0 Comments
Posted on 03 Nov 2010 by Maurica

September 2010 News

Meeting: September 9th, 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Elizabeth, Jill

- Ideas for iPad APP determined


Meeting: September 9th, 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Elizabeth, Dr. Montclare

- Ideas for iPad APP discussed
- Meeting with APP developer to be scheduled
- Navy Grant targets assigned
- White Paper Draft (by Sunday night)
- News12 efforts to get votes, 13th Sept
- Organize Module 1 Date with Jill's class schedule


Meeting: September 17th, 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Elizabeth, Dr. Montclare

- News12 effort, 2nd try: Sept 20th
- Navy White Paper Draft corrections (Tonight)
- Navy Proposal (Next Friday)


Meeting: September 24th, 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Elizabeth, Dr. Montclare

- News12 effort successful -> Post on website
- Navy Proposal additions/revisions (November)


Meeting: September 28th, 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Elizabeth, Jill, Dr. Montclare

- Date for 1st Module decided: Wednesday Oct 6th, 2010
0 Comments
Posted on 30 Sep 2010 by Maurica

August 2010 News

Meeting: August 17th, 2010
Attendees: Elizabeth, Jill, Dr. Montclare

- Grant discussion
- Module revisions necessary
- Timing of Modules an issue
- Upcoming iPad Purchase
- Aim to have all THREE modules complete by 30th



Meeting: August 20th, 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Dr. Montclare

- Further paper revisions
- Manual for Teachers
- Additions/ Revisions to Modules
- Possible iPad labeling
- Module timing concerns
- Update website with new information



Meeting: August 22nd, 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Jill

- Requirements for restructuring the two already completed modules
- Focus on Regents a priority
- Timing of modules discussed



Meeting: August 25th, 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Elizabeth

- Ideas for new module
- Reorganizing modules: New module becomes Module One. Modules One and
Two are pushed back to become Modules Two & Three
- Further discussion of Module Timing (Tentative)
--- Module One in Fall
--- Modules Two & Three in Spring after girls take Regents
- Designated work to accomplish new deadline for modules



Meeting: August 27th, 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Elizabeth, Carlo (App Developer), Dr. Montclare

- Possible requirements for the ChemSketch-based APP



Meeting: August 31st, 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Elizabeth, Jill, Dr. Montclare

- Discussion & Approval of Module revisions
- Methods to encourage votes for Pepsi Grant
- Timing of Module ONE TBA soon
- Prizes for top 5 girls per class to be bought
- Possible Focus after school on some days
- Contract for iPad use to be made and sent to students & parents
- Future meetings:
--- App Development Specs (Sept 7th - 9th)
--- Navy Grant (Sept 9th)
0 Comments
Posted on 29 Aug 2010 by Maurica

July 2010 News

Meeting: 4th July, 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Elizabeth, Dr. Montclare

- Expand Outlines to formulate draft Modules 1 & 2
- Give the students enough opportunities to use the Chem Sketch program to
draw structures
- DNA module 1st, Proteins 2nd
- Pepsi web troubleshooting

Deadline: 18th July, 2010



Meeting: 18th July, 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Liz, Dr. Montclare

- SPE Grant application

Deadline: 23rd July, 2010



Meeting: 18th July, 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Liz, Dr. Montclare

- Come up with a third module

Deadline: 25th July, 2010



Meeting: 19th July, 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Liz, Dr. Montclare

- Modules 1 & 2 updates/revisions
- Ensure agreement with class textbook

Deadline: 25th July, 2010



Meeting: 20th July, 2010
Attendees: Rob, Maurica, Dr. Montclare

- Paper revisions have been requested
- Review the comments
- Obtain all references
- Provide an outline of changes

Deadline: 27th July, 2010



Meeting: 23rd July, 2010
Attendees: Rob, Maurica, Dr. Montclare

- Paper revisions

Deadline: 6th August, 2010



Meeting: 26th July, 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Liz, Dr. Montclare

- Obtain Jill's feedback on Modules so far
0 Comments
Posted on 18 Jul 2010 by Maurica

June 2010 News

Meeting: June 4th, 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Elizabeth, Dr. Montclare

- Start Pepsi Grant Application process online
- Collect class textbook from Jill
- Incorporate Jill's ideas for molecular visualization into existing module ideas
- Try to devote a module(s) to Proteins/DNA
- Use Swiss PDB Viewer to visualize Insulin (ball & stick) & HIV GP41 (ribbon structure) and submit via word document

Deadline: 11th June, 2010



Meeting: June 11th, 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Elizabeth, Dr. Montclare

- Use Swiss PDB Viewer to depict double-stranded DNA (ball & stick) with each backbone a different color
- Update website with new information

Deadline: 15th June, 2010



Meeting: June 16th, 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Elizabeth, Dr. Montclare

- Use Swiss PDB Viewer to render a protein DNA Complex of choice (with protein in ribbon form and DNA as ball & stick)
- Meet Friday @ 1 to review Pepsi Refresh Grant for posting

Deadline: 22nd June, 2010



Meeting: June 24th, 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Elizabeth, Dr. Montclare

- Provide outlines for draft modules on "DNA" and "Proteins" as the first two
- Pepsi Grant ready to submit for July cycle

Deadline: 1st July, 2010
0 Comments
Posted on 15 Jun 2010 by Maurica

May 2010 News

Meeting: May 6th, 2010 @ 11:30
Attendees: Rob, Maurica, Dr. Montclare

Paper Points:
1. Conclusion
2. Formatting: Title, Keywords, Names, Affiliation, Supporting Info (PDF), modules, figures
3. Editing

Pepsi Challenge Grant
- iPad 3D visualization of modules
- proposal
- try for 1st June cycle
- encourage votes
- finding/developing an app for this purpose

TA's should get used to Chem Sketch

First Meeting with new TA's- May 17th at noon

Next Meeting: May 17th, 2010 @ 12:00



Meeting: May 15th, 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Elizabeth, Dr. Montclare

-Meetings will be held online via email until further notice
-This year's focus: computer & iPad modules
-Brainstorm ideas that use molecular modeling, incorporating small molecules & polymers (focus on chemicals/polymers used as materials in iPads)
-Prepare Pepsi Refresh Grant Proposal Draft

Deadline: 23rd May, 2010


Meeting: May 24th, 2010
Attendees: Maurica, Elizabeth, Dr. Montclare

-Expand module ideas
-Contact Apple about possible education donations/discounts
-Revise Pepsi Refresh Grant Proposal Draft

Deadline: 30th May, 2010
0 Comments
Posted on 15 Jun 2010 by Maurica

April 2010 News

Meeting: April 7th, 2010 @ 3:00
Attendees: Rob, Maurica, Dr. Montclare

- Applications received, setting up interviews with candidates
- Prepare modules for HM school - student evaluations
- Purchase materials for HM school
- Prizes and certificates to be distributed on Friday

Next meeting: April 19th, 2010 @ 1:00

Meeting: April 19th, 2010 @ 3:00
Attendees: Rob, Maurica, Dr. Montclare

- Prizes and certificates awarded - went well.
- Continue working on paper
- Modules ready for HM, materials worked out, what we don't have will be purchased.

Next meeting: April 26th 2010 @ 1:00 pm

Meeting: April 26th, 2010 @ 1:00 pm

- Horace Mann modules to be run this Thursday - completely ready to go
- Keep working on paper, almost done
- Undergraduate interviews complete, graduate interviews begin

Next meeting: May 10th, 2010
0 Comments
Posted on 07 Apr 2010 by Rob

March 2010 News

Meeting: March 1st, 2010 @ 1:00
Attendees: Rob, Maurica, Dr. Montclare

- Collect last year's flyer from Yan or design new flyer
- Create new application for next Fellow
- Aim to post flyer on campus and distribute to some professors
- Module 3 executed in February, results for graded papers prepared
- Change charts from plotted graphs to bar charts, chart every module separately
- SSH client stopped working - contact IS department so website can be updated
- Read last years drafts and comments for next meeting
- Interest from another school in our modules - one session, May or June - TBD

Next Meeting: March 8th, 2010 @ 12:00

Meeting: March 8th, 2010 @ 12:00
Attendees: Rob, Maurica, Dr. Montclare

- Got new SSH client from IS, updated website to include modules
- New application created - discussion on distribution and hiring process
- Ongoing: teaching modules at Horace Mann school
- For the paper - compare UAI and HM?
- Prizes for UAI
- Spring Break, no meeting for a while

Next meeting: March 22nd, 2010 @ 3:00

Meeting: March 22nd, 2010 @ 3:00
Attendees: Rob, Maurica, Dr. Montclare

- No applications received yet
- Continue working on paper
- Work on setting date, gathering materials. Coordinating with teacher for HM
- HM: logistics - class sizes, etc.

Next meeting: March 29th, 2010

Meeting: March 29th, 2010 @ 1:00
Attendees: Rob, Maurica, Dr. Montclare

- Continue working on paper
- Still talking to the HM teacher, solidifying plans.
- Distribute final prizes and certificates to UAI

Next meeting: April 7th, 2010 @ 3:00
0 Comments
Posted on 07 Mar 2010 by Rob

December 2009 News

Meeting: December 7th, 2009 @ 11:30
Attendees: Rob, Maurica, Dr. Montclare

- Modules 1 and 2 have been assessed
- Prizes/positive reinforcement to be given out for these 2 modules before end of the semester
- Test ways to degrade paper with household chemicals for next module
- Certificates of Participation to be awarded to girls at end of project next Spring

Next Meeting: TBA
0 Comments
Posted on 08 Dec 2009 by Rob

November 2009 News

Meeting: November 30, 2009 @ 12:00
Attendees: Rob, Maurica, Dr. Montclare

- Brainstorm Ideas for Paper Degradation module include:
- stir rod and hot water w/ toilet paper
- household chemicals/cleaners that would degrade toilet paper
- cellulase enzyme in acidic conditions
- Hoping to run module 3 on Friday Jan 22 2010
- Class should have covered covalent/ionic bonding & chemical compounds by then
- Obtain & read previous papers to have an idea for next spring

Next meeting: Monday, December 7th 2009

Meeting: November 16, 2009 @ 12:00 pm
Attendees: Rob, Maurica

- Grading rubric finalized for modules
- Logistics planned for creating new module and grading old ones

Next meeting: Thursday, November 19th 2009

Meeting: November 12, 2009 @ 6:30 pm
Attendees: Rob, Maurica, Dr. Montclare

- New module will be created in lieu of Nylon module
- PLA degradation module to be created
- Student feedback data interpreted; hands-on modules more effective
- Obtain prizes for positive reinforcement - ongoing

Next meeting TBA
0 Comments
Posted on 16 Nov 2009 by Rob

October 2009 News

Meeting: October 15, 2009 @ 6:30 pm
Attendees: Rob, Maurica, Dr. Montclare

- Module 2 will be underway this Friday
- Try to get lab space at Poly for the Nylon synthesis
- Explore positive reinforcement as a teaching tool (stickers, etc.)
- Update minor inconsistencies in website

Next meeting: Thursday, October 29th 2009
1 Comments
Posted on 17 Oct 2009 by Rob

September 2009 News

Meeting: September 24, 2009 @ 6:30 pm
Attendees: Rob, Maurica, Dr. Montclare

- Module 1 will be underway this Friday
- Extra help needed for J section - trying to recruit ACS club members as volunteers
- NSF funding received
- Try to get prizes for good students (NYU:Poly pens, etc.)
- Add pictures of the classes and copies of the modules to the website
- Explore the possibility of ordering lab aprons

Next meeting: Thursday, October 15th 2009

Meeting: September 10, 2009 @ 6:30 pm
Attendees: Rob, Maurica, Dr. Montclare

- Modules have been submitted to Jill and revisions have been made to better integrate them into the high school curriculum.
- We will take photos of the class sections and post them on here.
- The lab demonstrations have all been tested save the Nylon synthesis.
- MSDS sheets will be attached to all modules regarding all materials used.

Next meeting: Thursday, September 24th 2009
0 Comments
Posted on 12 Sep 2009 by Rob

August 2009 Meetings

Meeting: August 5, 2009 @ 11 am
Attendees: Rob, Maurica, Jill

- Modules contain too much detail. Distill the content to be more kid-friendly and try to teach more basic principles rather than specific examples.
- Use "learning targets" to assess students' progress
- Tested rubber ball and diaper experiments
- Gathering prices and making arrangements for supplies

Next meeting: TBA
0 Comments
Posted on 07 Aug 2009 by Rob

July 2009 Meetings

Meeting: July 6, 2009 @ 11 am
Attendees: Yan, Rob, Maurica, Jin

- Maurica will be in charge of 1st set of corrections
- Rob will be in charge of planning out test experiments for the 1st 2 modules
- Jin will finish reading by next week
- Yan will email UA to find out teacher and syllabus for upcoming year

Next meeting: July 15, 2009 @ 1:30 pm

Meeting: July 15, 2009 @ 1:30 pm
Attendees: Yan, Rob, Maurica, Jin, Jill

- Maurica and Rob are working on corrections and reorganizations.
- Test experiments will be pending until syllabus is revised and set.
- This module will be incorporated into chemistry regent course for 9th graders.
Next meeting: July 28, 2009 @ 1:30 pm

Meeting: July 28, 2009 @ 1:30 pm CANCELLED.

- Dr. Montclare has been graced with a newborn daughter. As such, the meeting is cancelled. Congratulations to the Montclare family!
- In e-mail correspondence, it is agreed that Jill will provide corrections to simplified modules while Dr. Montclare recovers.
- Jill has provided the rough outline of the course syllabus.
- Textbook choice and more detailed syllabus to come.
Next meeting: TBA
0 Comments
Posted on 20 Jul 2009 by Yan

June 2009 Meetings

Meeting: June 2, 2009 @ 1 pm
Attendees: Yan, Rob, Maurica, Aabhas

- Discussed changes for draft 1 (Draft 2 due on June 8)
- Agreed on formatting
- Nano-module 1: focus on introduction, with Chemsketch and molecular models
- Nano-module 2: focus on synthetic polymers with spider silk
- Nano-module 3: focus on natural polymers
- Next meeting: June 9, 2009 @ 1 pm

Meeting: June 9, 2009 @ 1 pm
Attendees: Yan, Rob, Maurica, Aabhas

- Discussed changes for draft 2 (Draft 3 due on June 15)
- Add cutting-edge technology for each module
- Discussed policies of plagiarism (absolutely zero tolerance)
* Aabhas’ part
- Discussed procedure/schedule for payment and paperwork to be done
- Next meeting: June 16, 2009 @ 1 pm

Meeting: June 16, 2009 @ 1 pm
Attendees: Yan, Rob, Maurica, Aabhas

Discussion:
- All deadlines must be met
- No lateness for meetings
- Jin will meet with Aabhas for plagiarism issues.

To do:
- Lesson plans for both reading day and experiment day (2 lesson plans for each module)
- Experiment instructions with list of materials updated
- Due on June 21

Next meeting: June 23, 2009 @ 1 pm

Meeting: June 23, 2009 @ 1 pm
Attendees: Yan, Rob, Maurica

- Aabhas dropped from fellowship
- Maurica will take up nano-module 1
- Rob will be in charge of formatting for all files
- Yan/Rob will be responsible for website (Wendy/Yan will assist in transfer of this responsibility)
- Timesheets for Dreyfus records due next week
- All writing and preparation planned to be done by next week

Next meeting: June 30, 2009 @ 1 pm

Meeting: June 30, 2009 @ 1 pm
Attendees: Yan, Rob, Maurica

- Touch-ups on the nanomodules complete
- Scheduled meeting with Dr. Montclare for advisement
- Website updated - Maurica's picture, archived old log
- Materials need to be finalized A.S.A.P.

Next meeting: July 06, 2009 @ 10:30 am
0 Comments
Posted on 23 Jun 2009 by Yan

May 2009 Meetings

Meeting: May 12, 2009 @ 12 noon
Attendees: Yan, Rob, Maurica, Aabhas

1. Introduction of attendees, exchange contact information
2. Discussed payment (½ in summer, ½ in fall) and undergraduate course credits (spring)
3. Review general scope and background of program
4. Discussed Module I: Chemical Visualization (2008-2009)
5. Explained proposal for Module II: Materials (2009-2010)
6. Distributed work for the 3 nano-modules
- Nano-module I: Aabhas
- Nano-module II: Rob
- Nano-module III: Maurica
7. Deadline: May 27, 2009
8. Next meeting: June 2 , 2009 @ 1 pm
0 Comments
Posted on 23 Jun 2009 by Yan
Content Management Powered by CuteNews
Click here to view the log from previous Dreyfus activity.


Participants

Montclare Lab & Urban Assembly Institute of Math and Science

free hit counter